|this is for maggie (here's to tradition)
||[Jan. 2nd, 2007|01:37 pm]
1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?|
I had caviar for the first time. It was pretty salty. I probably won't bother having it again. I also saw slash was in snow for the first time ever--real, bonafide, falling from the sky, fluffy, flaky snow. I was also high for the first (and only) time ever when I had pot brownies. I also went river rafting for the first time and learned how to sail. And I went to Mexico for the first time. And to a bar.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolution, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made one and if I did I obviously didn't keep it. I don't really do resolutions. I don't need an excuse like new years to reinvent something about myself. Okay, getting off my high horse . . . now.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico and almost the Philippines.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A driver's license. And more cheese on a stick.
7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August was a pretty good month for a very silly reason. And October 10th for another very silly and related reason.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Summer with broken leg girl. Why? Because I didn't kill her.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Summer with broken leg girl. Why? Because I didn't kill her.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I found out I had asthma(because I'd had an awful cough for about four months and finally decided to do something about it), I had an extensive and disgusting case of hives that sent me to the emergency room and that my allergist described as "industrial strength," and I might be allergic to wheat. And iron deficient. Yay. Other than that though, I've been a beacon of health.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A quesarito. Hell yeah. I want one right now, in fact.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Stephen Colbert's roast on the president made me proud to be an American. And Linda Ekstrom's unapologetic love for South Park made my year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Conquest evicting 55 families from their homes to make room for silly UCSB students who will blindly pay twice as much for "renovated" (read: new paint on the walls) apartments. Also, one of the girls in my Money Camp, who we 1. picked up and dropped off every day and 2. was sent on full scholarship ended up stealing prizes from the camp. And Mel Gibson for continuing to exist.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food. Food. And food. Eating out and buying groceries (usually when I did them simultaneously) ruined any semblance of a budget I had. I really have very little to show for all the money I spent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The weekend. Any sort of reprieve from school or work was a blessing. Also, Buffy.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Sexyback, Hips Don't Lie, Promiscuous Girl, Fly Till I Die, anything by TI (but especially Whatchu Know about that) and anything by Sean Paul (mostly because I can't tell his songs apart). Also, I listened to A LOT of Decemberists this year (thanks, Naomi), which is always a good thing.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a.happier or sadder? I want to say happier? I don't think I'm sadder anyway, so it's happier by default.
b.thinner or fatter? Well, my clothes still fit the same so neither.
c.richer or poorer? Richer, but the difference is negligible.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Drugs. I mean dancing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
It's already been spent. Epic roaming in San Francisco and ringing in the New Year to Sex Machine. Amen.
20. Did you fall in love in 2006?
no, but here's to 2007.
21. How many one-night stands?
Well, let's see, there was that one time in ... oh and that other time ... oh yeah ... so, all together I've had ... carry the two ... subtract one because it's not a leap year ... and ... none.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Degrassi and Buffy and NOT Hip-hop Harry.
23. Did you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Oh lots of people I'm sure.
24. What was the best book you read?
I've just started catching up on my reading recently, but Waiting for Godot was pretty awesome, David Sedaris made it to genius status, The Best Non-Required Reading lived up to its name, and Why I Hate Abercrombie and Fitch pretty much changed the way I look at race, gender, and sexuality and I'm just beginning to discover Zadie Smith's brilliance.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hip-hop. Especially early 90's hip-hop ala Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul. I've grown to appreciate hip-hop in general throughout 2006 (thanks Ted and Manoli), something I never thought would happen, especially because I was part of the i-like-all-music-except-country-and-rap camp for a while. Oh yeah, and Alcazar.
26. What did you want and get?
I can't really recall really wanting anything in 2006. I bought a lot of cookiewiches this year and every time I did I do remember having really wanted one.
27. What was your favorite film of the year?
Didn't see too many 2006 movies. I was very impressed with the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 21 and boy did I turn 21. My friends threw a surprise party for me on my birthday with brownie sundaes and then the next day, they threw an epic show for me which turned into an impromptu benefit concert and raised $700 for the families who got evicted. Best birthday ever.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Well, I don't want to say a boy because I'd feel like a shmuck, but it's the only thing I can really think of. Is that awful?
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Slutty. It was mine last year too.
31. What kept you sane?
Myspace. Ha. Hahaha. And Naomi. I don't know why, she just popped into my head when I read that question.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Justin Timberlake. Duh.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Learning about institutionalized racism/sexism/homophobia in my black studies class made me acutely aware of it to the point that I can't watch half the things on TV (and 3/4 of the things on MTV) without cringing or changing the channel or ranting.
34. Who did you miss?
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Well I would say broken leg girl, but if I did, I'd be lying.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
The simple answer is never the complete one and is usually the wrong one.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I gotta stay fly till I die. --Academy Award winners, Three Six Mafia.